Summary of the criminal process
The following is a summary of the normal stages in the criminal process in the Slovak Republic.
The pre-trial process consists of the following stages:
- steps prior to initiation of criminal prosecution;
- pre-trial preparations (investigation).
The trial process consists of the following stages:
- examination and preliminary hearing of the indictment;
- main trial;
- appeal process (ordinary appeal [odvolanie] to a higher-instance court, further appeal [dovolanie] to the Supreme Court of the Slovak Republic [Najvyšší súd Slovenskej Republiky], reopening of the case);
- enforcement process, carrying out the sentence and protective measures.
Click on the links below to find the information that you need
My rights during the investigation
The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.