Victims' rights - by country


Content provided by:

Can I appeal against the ruling?

You have no right to appeal against the ruling rendered by the court at first instance. The Attorney General of the Republic has the right to appeal.

What are my rights after sentencing?

A sentence may be utilised by your lawyer if you file a claim for damages against the offender.

Am I entitled to support or protection after the trial? For how long?

You are entitled to post-trial support and/or protection for a reasonable period of time, depending on your needs at that particular moment.

What information will I be given if the offender is sentenced?

Upon request, you may be informed by the Police about the sentence that was imposed on the offender by the Court.

Will I be told if the offender is released (including early or conditional release) or escapes from prison?

Upon request, you may be informed:

  1. if the person remanded in custody, prosecuted or convicted for a crime that concerns you is released from or has escaped detention;
  2. any relevant measures issued for your protection in case of release or escape of a person remanded in custody, prosecuted or sentenced for crimes which concern you.

It is pointed out that the above information may be withheld if there is a potential or established risk of harm for the offender.

Will I be involved in release or parole decisions? For example, can I make a statement or lodge an appeal?

You have no right to become involved in any release or parole decisions concerning the offender.

Last update: 11/03/2024

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.