The language version you are now viewing is currently being prepared by our translators.
Please note that the following languages: Estonian have already been translated.
Swipe to change

Victims' rights - by country


Content provided by:

Can I appeal against the ruling?

As a party to the trial, you have the right to file an appeal against the ruling with a district court within 30 days after the ruling is made.

What are my rights after sentencing?

You have the right to be notified in the event of the early release of the convicted offender from prison if you request this during the proceedings.

Am I entitled to support or protection after the trial? For how long?

The course of the criminal proceedings does not affect how long you can receive victim support services. You can continue to receive victim support services after the conclusion of the criminal proceedings without any specific time limit.

What information will I be given if the offender is sentenced?

You will be informed about the court ruling, which states the length of the sentence given to the suspect. You will also be notified in the event of the early release of the convicted offender from prison if you so request.

Will I be told if the offender is released (including early or conditional release) or escapes from prison?

If you requested this during your questioning, you will be notified if the convicted offender is released or escapes from prison.

Will I be involved in release or parole decisions? For example, can I make a statement or lodge an appeal?

You may be asked to give an opinion during early-release proceedings, but you cannot appeal against such decisions.

Last update: 01/10/2020

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.