Victims' rights - by country


Content provided by:

You will be considered a victim of crime (injured party) if you have suffered direct physical, material or moral injury as the result of an unlawful act, for example you have been injured or your property has been damaged or stolen, etc. as a result of an incident which constitutes a crime according to national law. As a victim of crime, the law accords you certain rights before, during and after court proceedings (trial).

Criminal proceedings in Estonia begin with pre-trial proceedings, which in general are conducted by the police and the prosecutor and during which evidence is gathered about the perpetrated crime and the alleged offender. If there is sufficient evidence, the case will go to trial. The trial will end with the court either convicting or acquitting the accused. In the event of a conviction, the court will also rule on the civil action brought before the court, but in the event of an acquittal the action will be dismissed. In this case it is possible to claim compensation in civil proceedings. The court may decide to fully or partially satisfy the civil action, not satisfy the action or dismiss it. If you do not agree with the ruling, you may appeal the case to a higher court.

Click on the links below to find the information that you need

1 - My rights as a victim of crime

2 - Reporting a crime and my rights during the investigation or trial

3 - My rights after trial

4 - Compensation

5 - My rights to support and assistance

Last update: 01/10/2020

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.