Victims' rights - by country


Content provided by:

You will be considered a victim of a crime if you have suffered harm (e.g. you have been injured or your personal property has been damaged or stolen, etc.) as a result of an incident which constitutes an offence according to national law. According to the law, you have certain individual rights as a victim of a crime before, during and after the proceedings.

In France, criminal proceedings consist of an inquiry and a trial. There are two types of inquiry according to the type of crime committed: a police inquiry conducted by criminal police officers under the authority of the public prosecutor and a judicial inquiry (investigation) conducted under the authority of the investigating magistrate by the criminal police officers or by the investigating magistrate him/herself.

Once the inquiry is finished, the case may be closed or referred back to court for trial, depending on the evidence gathered. In the latter case, the court will examine the evidence gathered and decide whether the alleged perpetrator is guilty or not. If the alleged perpetrator is found guilty, the court will impose a sentence on him/her. If not, the alleged offender is declared not guilty and released or acquitted.

Click on the links below to find the information that you need

1 - My rights as a victim of crime

2 - Reporting a crime and my rights during the investigation or trial

3 - My rights after trial

4 - Compensation

5 - My rights to support and assistance

Last update: 04/07/2018

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.