Victims' rights - by country


Content provided by:

I am a victim of crime: who do I contact for support and assistance?

If you have become a victim of a crime, you may report it at the nearest police station or by dialling the emergency call numbers 107 or 112.

The staff of the state-run Victim Support Service and Legal Aid Service can assist you at the nearest district government office. The staff of the free-phone Victim Support Line (Áldozatsegítő Vonal) (+36-80-225-225) provide immediate help via pone 24 hours a day in Hungary.

The National Crisis Telephone Information Service (Országos Kríziskezelő és Információs Telefonszolgálat, OKIT, provides help specifically for the victims of domestic violence, violence between relatives, child abuse as well as prostitution and human trafficking via the phone number +36-80-205-520.

Victim support hotline

  • Police: 107
  • General emergency number: 112
  • Phone Witness (Telefontanú): +36-80-555-111 (through which you can report offences anonymously)
  • Victim Support Line (Áldozatsegítő Vonal): +36-80-225-225 (free-phone number which can be dialled 24 hours a day in Hungary)
  • National Crisis Telephone Information Service (Országos Kríziskezelő és Információs Telefonszolgálat) +36-80-205-520
  • NGO NANE Women’s Rights Association (Nők a Nőkért Együtt az Erőszak Ellen Egyesület):
    • +36-80-505-101 (helpline for abused women and children; it can be dialled free of charge, via cell phone as well, on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.)
    • +36-40-603-006 (for victims of sexual violence, it can be dialled on Fridays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. at local tariffs)
  • Patent Association (Patent Egyesület): +36-70-25-25-254 (free-phone legal aid service in essential legal and psychological issues for women living in an abusive relationship, which can be dialled on Wednesdays between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.)

Is victim support free?

The victim support procedures are accessible without fees and free of charge. If you don’t speak Hungarian or need to use a sign language interpreter due communication-related disabilities, the costs of translation and interpreting will be borne by the state.

What types of support can I receive from state services or authorities?

The Victim Support Service (Áldozatsegítő Szolgálat) can

  • inform you about your rights, obligations and possibilities,
  • provide information about social welfare services, health care services and health insurance benefits,
  • provide instant monetary aid (within 5 days from the date of commission of the related crime),
  • provide emotional support (including psychological assistance if needed),
  • provide legal advice and practical help in simple cases,
  • confirm your victim status,
  • in addition to the above, seriously injured persons and relatives of fatal victims of violent criminal offences may apply for state compensation.

The National Crisis Telephone Information Service (Országos Kríziskezelő és Információs Telefonszolgálat) can

  • provide immediate assistance for citizens (mainly for women and children) who are in serious crisis situations due to abuse,
  • secure immediate accommodation in safe shelters for persons in need after consultation. This will be ensured in crisis homes where accommodation is ensured for 30 days but, where justified, it may be extended by an additional 30 days. The accommodation is provided free of charge, and as part of the care provided, the specialists of the crisis home will help find a safe, long-term solution to the problem, and they are also in contact with the family assistant of the relevant Family Support and Child Welfare Service.

Legal Aid Service (Jogi Segítségnyújtó Szolgálat)

  • provides legal advice in cases where the facts of the case are relatively straightforward,
  • and, if the legally defined conditions are met, it
  1. provides out-of-court services (counselling, document editing) free of charge or under favourable conditions,
  2. provides representation through a litigation friend in court proceedings and in the pre-trial section (when the case is investigated by the investigating authority or the prosecutor) of the criminal proceedings. If representation through a litigation friend is allowed, the actual legal service is provided by lawyers and law firms who are in contractual relationship with the Legal Aid Service.

What types of support can I receive from non-governmental organisations?

You may primarily rely on the following non-governmental organisations:

White Ring Charitable Association (Fehér Gyűrű Közhasznú Egyesület)

  • personal care after the criminal offence,
  • free legal aid,
  • free mediation,
  • free psychological assistance,
  • financial support to those who are in need (only if the crime is reported to the police),
  • assistance with the proceedings of other authorities,
  • mediation of support provided by other organisations and institutions.

NGO NANE Women’s Rights Association (Nők a Nőkért Együtt az Erőszak Ellen Egyesület):

  • provision of information,
  • immediate practical help to those who are in crisis (e.g. placement in shelters for women, notification of authorities, advice about actions and possibilities),
  • group sessions,
  • legal aid (through legal advice if necessary).

NGO ESZTER Ambulance (ESZTER Alapítvány és Ambulancia):

  • psychological assistance,
  • legal aid.

Patent Association (Patent Egyesület):

  • information and advice,
  • ensuring background consultations with a psychologist or social worker,
  • providing legal aid to abused women as well as victims of gender-based violence and discrimination.

Anonymous Ways Foundation (Névtelen Utak Alapítvány):

  • safe accommodation,
  • rehabilitation,
  • reintegration.

Last update: 05/07/2018

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.