Victims' rights - by country


Contenu fourni par

Can I appeal against the ruling?

The victim may appeal against the ruling if he or she is also a substitute private prosecutor, a private prosecutor or a civil party, or if the ruling contains a provision allowing appeals. The civil party may lodge an appeal against the provision adjudicating the civil claim in its merits. If any other provision is included in the ruling concerning the victim, he or she may appeal against such provisions.

What are my rights after sentencing?

If an appeal has been lodged against the sentence in the first or second instance, the victim is entitled to be present at the trial and public session held by the court of second or third instance, to access the documents produced in the course of the proceedings, to make motions and objections, and to make an address to the court after the closing argument of the public prosecutor.

Am I entitled to support or protection after the trial? For how long?

The answer to this question to the extent that it concerns victim support falls within the responsibilities of the Deputy State Secretariat for Justice and Private Law Legislation of the Ministry of Justice and the Deputy State Secretary for Justice Methodology Management of the Ministry of Justice, while with regard to victim protection it falls within the responsibilities of the Ministry of Interior.

What information will I be given if the offender is sentenced?

The judgment, from which the victim can learn about the content of the sentence, namely the nature, type, extent and content of the punishment or measures imposed against the defendant, must be served to the victim by the court.

Will I be told if the offender is released (including early or conditional release) or escapes from prison?

The victim or, in case of his or her death, the person who exercises his or her rights is entitled to be informed upon request about the following in connection with the crime concerning the victim:

a) the release or escape of the defendant in pre-trial detention,

b) the release on parole or final discharge or escape as well as interruption of the execution of the term of imprisonment of the person sentenced to a term of imprisonment,

c) the release or escape of the person sentenced to custodial arrest as well as the interruption of the execution of custodial arrest,

d) the release or escape of the person under temporary involuntary medical treatment,

e) the release, leave without permission and adaptation leave of the person under involuntary medical treatment, and

f) in case of education for young offenders, the temporary or permanent release, leaving the institution without permit and interruption of education of young offenders.

Will I be involved in release or parole decisions? For example, can I make a statement or lodge an appeal?

The last day of imprisonment is determined by the penal institution and on that day it will arrange for the release of the convict. If the penal institution makes a motion for the release on parole of the convict, the penal judge will hold an audition of which the victim will not be notified and where he or she may not participate. The victim may not make a statement and may not appeal against the decision of the court made in the subject of release on parole.

Last update: 05/07/2018

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.