Legal Aid Administration
The Legal Aid Administration is the institution responsible for the provision of legal aid and compensation to victims of crime.
The Legal Aid Administration
- is an administrative institution subordinated to the Ministry of Justice
- is the institution responsible for the provision of legal aid and compensation to victims of crime who have obtained the status of low-income or needy persons
- services are provided free of charge
The State Police receive reports for crimes from victims and perform the investigation on criminal cases.
The State Police
- receive reports from victims about committed crimes
- perform investigation of criminal cases
- protect victims in danger
State Probation Service
The State Probation Service provides the opportunity for a victim and a probation client to engage voluntarily in the process of settlement through an intermediary (victim offender mediation).
The State Probation Service
- applies social behaviour correction measures
- ensures the possibility for a victim and a probation client to engage voluntarily in the process of settlement through an intermediary (victim offender mediation)
Riga Municipal Police
The Riga Municipal Police is responsible for the public safety in Riga.
Riga Municipal Police
- is responsible for the protection of public safety in the city of Riga
- cooperates with the State Police in the investigation of crimes committed on the territory of Riga
Victims Support Centre
The Victims Support Centre is a non-governmental organisation offering legal aid and free psychological consultations to victims as well as victim-offender mediation.
The Victims Support Centre
- renders help for victims of crime
- works on crime prevention and protection of victims’ rights
- informs about victims’ rights and support in criminal procedure
- renders assistance to victims’ immediate needs to diminish and prevent consequences of crime
- facilitates victims and other risk groups’ integration in society
- facilitates perpetrators’ action in remuneration of caused damages
- balances the interests of victims and perpetrators (in mediation process)
- offers legal aid, free consultations, victim-offender mediation, educational and informational services
Centre Dardedze is a non-governmental organisation offering counselling and assistance for children – victims of violence.
The Centre Dardedze
- is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation working to prevent child abuse and to provide direct help to children exposed to sexual, physical, emotional abuse and neglect
- works with children and adult clients in providing assistance and in preventing child abuse from happening
- offers counselling and assistance for children – victims of violence
- has a team of professional staff consisting of social workers, psychologists, art therapists, vocational therapist and educators
Society Skalbes maintains a crisis telephone line 7 222 922, available 24 hours, seven days a week, offering psychological consultations and information about aid available in Latvia.
The Society Skalbes
- maintains a crisis telephone line 7 222 922, available 24 hours, seven days a week, offering psychological consultations and information about aid available in Latvia
- holds seminars for other organisations on topics such as domestic violence, child abuse, stress and self-help, crisis intervention basic principles, accidents and sudden traumatic events, communication and interrelationship skills
- has support groups for women who suffer from sexual abuse and domestic violence, children and youth support groups, self-support groups for men
Resource Centre for Women Marta
Resource Centre for Women Marta secures support services for women victims of violence and human trafficking.
The Resource Centre for Women Marta
- promotes mutual support, understanding, and solidarity between women, regardless of age, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status
- educates clients about their rights, provides them with information, and helps women develop their knowledge base and competency so that women gain confidence in their own abilities to successfully realise their goals
- facilitates the social integration of low-income women
- secures support services for victims of human trafficking
- develops broad cooperation between women’s organisations and facilitates a network of cooperation between women’s organisations in Latvia
The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.