Victims' rights - by country


Il-kontenut ipprovdut minn

Can I appeal against the ruling?

You have the right to appeal against the part of the decision concerning the claim for damages or the costs of the proceedings. Depending on the type of the decision, it is possible to lodge an appeal (within 15 days), a complaint (within 3 working days) or a statement of opposition (within 8 days). The decision you receive will indicate exactly what remedy is available to you, where and by when you can lodge it.

What are my rights after sentencing?

The convicted offender is obliged to compensate you for the damage as determined in the decision. If the convicted person fails to comply with this obligation after the decision has become final, you can enforce it through a bailiff. The bailiff then takes the necessary steps to ensure that you receive the damages, e.g. sells the convicted person’s property, deducts a certain amount from the convicted person’s salary. However, even after the criminal proceedings have been closed, you have further rights as a victim of crime/the civil party. These rights cover both your safety and compensation.

If you are the victim of violent crime, you may apply to the Ministry of Justice for compensation, which will be provided by the state. Compensation is granted for bodily harm and, in the case of certain crimes, also for non-material damage. The basic condition to be met before you apply is that the criminal proceedings in which you have brought a claim for compensation from the offender have been initiated and you have not been compensated for the damage otherwise. You can apply for compensation already during the criminal proceedings, but no more than one year from the date on which the decision becomes final, so it is important that you do not miss this deadline.

Am I entitled to support or protection after the trial? For how long?

You are entitled to expert assistance even after the criminal proceedings have ended. If you continue to need, in particular, psychological help or assistance to exercise your rights as a victim, you have the right to receive it.

What information will I be given if the offender is sentenced?

The judgment you will receive will contain information on the sentence imposed on the offender, including the term of the sentence and the prison where the sentence will be served if the offender has been sentenced to imprisonment.

Will I be told if the offender is released (including early or conditional release) or escapes from prison?

You have the right to decide whether you want to be informed in case the offender is released or absconds from a detention facility. Information about these facts serves, in particular, to protect you if the offender tries to contact you (e.g. the offender is a close person or a family member). You can change this decision at any time and it will be taken into account by the police, the prosecutor and the court. However, if you are at risk, or your life or health is in danger, you will be informed by the police/prosecutor/court of the release or absconding even if you have not requested such information.

Will I be involved in release or parole decisions? For example, can I make a statement or lodge an appeal?

You may lodge an appeal only against the section of the court decision concerning damages. Only the defendant and the prosecutor may lodge an appeal against the sentence itself or, more precisely, its term.

Last update: 11/05/2023

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.