National ECLI Coordinator
Address: Rua Duque de Palmela No 23, 1250-097 Lisbon – Portugal
Telephone: +351 213 220 020
Fax: +351 213 474 09 918
The country code for Portugal is: [PT].
Generation of national ECLI
Portugal’s introduction of the European Case Law Identifier (ECLI) was completed in November 2018, as part of a project co-financed by the European Union through the Justice Programme 2014-2020 of the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). This was a joint initiative of the Supreme Council of the Judiciary (Conselho Superior da Magistratura) and the Institute for Financial and Estate Management of Judicial Services (Instituto de Gestão Financeira e Equipamentos da Justiça).
The ECLI currently covers judgments of the higher courts:
- The Supreme Court of Justice (Supremo Tribunal de Justiça)
- The Coimbra Court of Appeal (Tribunal da Relação de Coimbra)
- The Évora Court of Appeal (Tribunal da Relação de Évora)
- The Guimarães Court of Appeal (Tribunal da Relação de Guimarães)
- The Lisbon Court of Appeal (Tribunal da Relação de Lisboa)
- The Porto Court of Appeal (Tribunal da Relação do Porto)
The website https://jurisprudencia.csm.org.pt/ provides access to a new search engine for national case-law using the ECLI.
The ECLI in Portugal is made up the following components:
- The country code: ‘PT’;
- The court code: ‘STJ’, ‘TRL’, ‘TRP’, ‘TRC’, ‘TRE’ or ‘TRG’ (the ECLI is currently available to identify judgments of the Supreme Court of Justice and the appeal courts of Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra, Évora and Guimarães);
- The year of the judgment;
- A serial number, which in Portugal’s case, is based on the case number (plus occasionally two identifying characters used for the distribution of cases in the higher courts).
Each component is separated by a colon.
Example of a Portuguese ECLI:
The identifier ECLI:PT:TRC:2017:198.15.3GCACB.C1, corresponds to a judgment handed down in Portugal (PT), by the Coimbra Court of Appeal (TRC), in 2017, in case No 198/15.3GCACB.
The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.