General provisions on mediation are generally applying to family disputes.
European / international
The implementation of this method for the resolution of conflicts is forseen or enhanced by several European and international instruments.
At European Union level:
- Directive 2008/52/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 May 2008 on certain aspects of mediation in civil and commercial matters
- Council Regulation (EC) n°2201/2003 of 27 November 2003 concerning jurisdiction and the recognition and enforcement of judgments in matrimonial matters and the matters of parental responsibility, repealing Regulation (EC) n°1347/2000
- Council Regulation (EC) n°4/2009 of 18 December 2008 on jurisdiction, applicable law, recognition and enforcement of decisions and cooperation in matters relating to maintenance obligations
At the Hague Conference of private international law:
- Hague Convention of 25 October 1980 on civil aspects of international child abduction
- Hague Convention of 19 October 1996 on jurisdiction, applicable law, recognition, enforcement and cooperation in respect of parental responsibility and measures for the protection of children
- Guide to good practice on mediation in particular under the Hague Convention of 25 October 1980 on the civil aspects of international child abduction
At Council of Europe level:
- Recommandation No.R (98)1 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on family mediation adopted on 21 January 1998
- Recommandation Rec (2002) 10 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on mediation in civil matters
At the European Parliament level:
Other useful links
To find a mediator specialised in cross-border family mediation follow the link: https://www.crossbordermediator.eu/
This page is maintained by the European Commission. The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the official position of the European Commission. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice with regard to copyright rules for European pages.