Cross-border placement of a child including foster family

Content provided by:
European Judicial Network
European Judicial Network (in civil and commercial matters)

1 Which authority is to be consulted and to give prior consent before the cross-border placement of a child within your territory?

Authorisation for the placement of a child in Sweden, pursuant to the Brussels II Regulation, is examined by the Social Welfare Board of the municipality where the child is to be placed.

2 Please describe shortly the procedure for consultation and the obtaining of consent (including required documents, deadlines, modalities of the procedure, and other relevant details) for cross-border placement of children within your territory.

The Social Welfare Board may grant approval for an authority abroad to place a child in Sweden only if:

1. it is best for the child to be placed in Sweden, in particular in the light of the child’s links to Sweden,

2. the child’s attitude to the placement, to the extent that it is possible to gauge, has been ascertained,

3. the child’s guardian and, if the child is 15 years or older, the child consent to the placement,

4. the circumstances in the individual home and the conditions for care in the home have been investigated by the Social Welfare Board,

5. the child has a residence permit, if one is necessary, and

6. the placement is based on Council Regulation (EU) 2019/1111 of 25 June 2019 on jurisdiction, the recognition and enforcement of decisions in matrimonial matters and the matters of parental responsibility, and on international child abduction (the Brussels II Regulation) or the Hague Convention of 19 October 1996 on Jurisdiction, Applicable Law, Recognition, Enforcement and Co-operation in respect of Parental Responsibility and Measures for the Protection of Children.

Information on the documents required in individual cases is provided by the municipality in question. Please contact the central authority in Sweden for more information.

3 Has your Member State decided that consent is not required for cross-border placements of children within your territory where the child is to be placed with certain categories of close relatives? If yes, what are the categories of close relatives?

No, that rule does not apply.

4 Does your Member State have in place any agreements or arrangements for simplifying the consultation procedure for obtaining consent for the cross-border placement of children?


Last update: 01/12/2022

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective EJN contact point. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. Neither the EJN nor the European Commission accept responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.