If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

(a) The Commission for financial assistance to victims of intentional acts of violence (Commission pour l’aide financière aux victimes d’actes intentionnels de violence) can help victims who are Belgian nationals or residents of Belgium to obtain compensation in another EU country.


Commission pour l’aide financière aux victimes d’actes intentionnels de violence
SPF Justice
Boulevard de Waterloo 115

(b) For the cases of victims of terrorism, the Commission’s Terrorism Division must be contacted.

Postal Address:

Commission pour l’aide financière aux victimes d’actes intentionnels de violence – Division Terrorisme
SPF Justice
Boulevard de Waterloo 115
Email Address: terrorvictims@just.fgov.be

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?


In which language(s) do the compensation authorities(s) accept the:

  • claim? In French, Dutch, German and English.
  • supporting documents? In French, Dutch, German and English.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

This issue has not yet arisen and is still being considered.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?


If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?


Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?


Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

This is assessed by the Commission based on the injury and severity of the injury suffered by the victim.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?


How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

18 months at the moment. The procedure is the same for cross-border cases and national cases.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

In French, Dutch, German or English.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

There is no procedure for appealing the Commission’s decisions. Only an action for annulment can be brought before the Belgian Council of State (Conseil d’Etat).

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?

No, the Commission does not get involved in this respect.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

There are victim support services that can help victims to claim financial assistance from the Commission.

Victim support is provided by the communities and regions of Belgium.

For more information (in particular on the various services approved to provide assistance), please go to the following websites:

Wallonia-Brussels Federation: victimes.be

Flanders: slachtofferzorg.be

Last update: 14/01/2020

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.