If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

Social Insurance Board

Endla 8

Telephone: +372 612 1360
Fax: +372 640 8155

E-mail: info@sotsiaalkindlustusamet.ee
Website: http://www.sotsiaalkindlustusamet.ee/

The deciding authority is the Social Insurance Board together with its local pension departments. You will soon be able to find information on local pension departments on this page.

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?


In which language(s) does the compensation authority accept the documents?

Official European languages, preferably Estonian or English.

If the compensation authority translates claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for it?

The translation service is paid for by the authority commissioning the translation.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?


If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

Your physical presence during the decision-making process is not required.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

Your personal presence is not required.

Will medical certificates issued by doctors in my country of residence be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

Documents issued in other Member States of the European Union are accepted, but an expert doctor will assess the health and injuries of the victim on the basis of the medical documents issued in the country of residence of the victim.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?

You do not have to attend a medical examination.

How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

A decision will be made within 30 days of receipt of the last document.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?


If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

A challenge can be filed against the decision within 30 days of receipt thereof. Alternatively, a complaint can be lodged with an administrative court pursuant to the procedure provided for in the Code of Administrative Court Procedure. We will resolve a challenge within 30 days of receipt of the challenge.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?


Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

Yes: victim support providers. Their contact details can be found on the website of the Social Insurance Board.

Last update: 15/08/2019

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.