If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

The Greek Compensation Authority (Archí Apozimíosis)

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?

If your residence (katoikía) or habitual residence (siníthi diamoní) is in the territory of another Member State, the application has to be filed with the assisting authority of the Member State concerned, which will send it to the Greek Compensation Authority. In that case, the Greek Compensation Authority will send the following information as soon as possible to the assisting authority of the Member State concerned and to the applicant: (a) the contact person or the department responsible for handling the matter; (b) an acknowledgement of receipt of the application; and (c) an indication of the approximate time by which a decision on the application can be expected.

In which language(s) does/do the compensation authority(-ies) accept the claim?

The official language for the submission of the application and the exchange of information, data and supporting documents is Greek.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents, who pays for this?

It does not take on responsibility for translation and consequently will not bear the costs.

Are there any administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay for those?

Yes, the fee is EUR 50. If the fee has not been paid when the application is considered by the Compensation Authority, the application will be rejected. The Greek Assisting Authority can provide you with information on the bank transfer that you will be required to make.

If you are in a SEPA (Single Euro Payment Area) country, you can pay the electronic fee through SEPA credit transfer in euros, with the Bank of Greece as receiving bank. The IBAN account number and transfer details are:

Beneficiary’s name: MINISTRY OF FINANCE

Beneficiary’s address: 10 Kar. Servias St., 10562 Athens

Beneficiary’s IBAN: GR1201000230000000481090510

Bank identifier code (BIC) of beneficiary’s bank: BNGRGRAA

Transfer information: xxxxxxxxx95xxxxxxxxx (the 20-digit password code/payment code will be provided to you by the Greek Assisting Authority)

If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

The Greek Compensation Authority may, if it deems it necessary, invite you, the offender or other parties, such as witnesses or experts, to appear in person in order to testify before it.

If your place of residence or your habitual residence is in the territory of another Member State, the Greek Compensation Authority will ask the relevant assisting authority to hear the person concerned in accordance with the law of the State where it is located and to send it a report on the hearing. It may also, in cooperation with the relevant assisting authority, conduct the hearing itself, in accordance with Greek law, by telephone or videoconference. In that case the Greek Compensation Authority cannot oblige you to appear before it. The Greek Assisting Authority will assist the compensation authority of the Member State concerned with your hearing or the hearing of other parties, such as witnesses or experts.

For this purpose, the Greek Assisting Authority, at the request of the compensation authority of the Member State concerned, will: (a) assist the compensation authority when the hearing is conducted directly by the latter by telephone or by videoconference, in accordance with Greek law, in which case the Assisting Authority will provide and ensure the necessary logistical infrastructure; or (b) conduct the hearing itself, in accordance with Greek law, and send a report on the hearing to the compensation authority of the Member State concerned. In the latter case, the report on the hearing, which is drawn up in Greek, will be translated into the official language or one of the official languages of the Member State or any other EU language that that Member State has indicated it can accept.

The costs incurred here by the Greek Assisting Authority are borne by the Greek State.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

Yes, an interpreter is provided.

Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

They are accepted, but it is possible that an expert’s report may also be ordered.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?

Yes, you will be reimbursed.

How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

The Greek Compensation Authority must examine the case within 3 months of the date on which the application is lodged, and must give its final decision within 3 months of the date of assessment of the application.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

In the language you understand.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

You can bring an action before the Administrative Court of First Instance (Dioikitikó Protodikeío) within 4 months.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?

Victims of criminal acts also qualify for legal aid in respect of any criminal and civil claims. The law (Article 1 of Law 3226/2004) provides for legal aid to low-income citizens of an EU Member State, third-country nationals and stateless persons if they legally reside or have their habitual residence in the European Union. Low-income citizens entitled to legal aid are those whose annual family income does not exceed two thirds of the minimum annual personal income defined in the National General Collective Labour Agreement. In the case of a domestic dispute, the income of the other party to the dispute is disregarded.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

Research Centre for Gender Equality (Kéntro Erevnón gia Thémata Isótitas – KEThI)

National Centre for Social Solidarity (Ethnikó Kéntro Koinonikís Allilengýis – EKKA)

Secretariat-General for Gender Equality (Genikí Grammateía Isótitas ton Fýlon)

Greek Council for Refugees (Ellinikó Symvoúlio gia tous Prósfyges)

Amnesty International – Greek Section (Diethnís Amnistía – Ellinikó Tmíma)

Hellenic Police – Cyber-crime

Last update: 14/06/2024

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.