If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

Claims Officer

The Palace, St George’s Square

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?

You cannot send your claim directly.

In which language(s) do the compensation authorities accept the:

  • claim? Maltese or English
  • supporting documents? Maltese or English

If the compensation authority translates documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The compensation authority pays for this.

Are there any administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay them?

There are no charges.

If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

Not applicable

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

Not applicable

Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised - or will my health/injury need to be examined by your own medical experts?

They can be accepted at the discretion of the Claims Officer, who can also decide to engage local medical experts.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?

Yes, the costs will be reimbursed.

How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

The authority takes between one and two months.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

You can receive the decision in English.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

This is not possible.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country's rules?

Yes, you can.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?


or the Chief Advocate for Legal Aid: https://justice.gov.mt/mt/LegalAidMalta/Pages/home.aspx

Last update: 04/05/2021

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.