If my claim is to be sent from this country to another EU country


Content provided by:

Which authority will help me send a claim to another EU country?

The tasks of the assisting authority are laid down in Council Directive 2004/80/EC. They are also referred to in the Law on State Compensation for Victims of Certain Offences of 7 July 2005 (Journal of Laws 2016, item 325).

In accordance with the aforesaid Law, the assisting authority in the Republic of Poland competent to obtain compensation for a victim of an offence committed in the territory of another Member State of the European Union who is habitually resident in Poland is the district prosecutor in whose jurisdiction the person entitled to compensation has their habitual residence.

What is the role of the assisting authority?

The assisting authority provides the applicant for compensation in another Member State of the European Union with the necessary information on the possibilities and conditions for applying for compensation awarded by the adjudicating authorities in other Member States of the European Union when the offence has been committed in the territory of those States, makes available the relevant model application form and provides general assistance and information on how to complete the application.

The assisting authority receives and immediately transmits applications for compensation, together with the necessary documentation, to the adjudicating authorities in other Member States of the European Union, using the form prepared by the European Commission.

Will that authority translate the supporting documents, if this is necessary for the purposes of forwarding the application? If so, who pays for this?

The primary task of the assisting authority is to receive and forward applications for compensation to the adjudicating authorities in individual EU countries.

The assisting authority in the Republic of Poland will forward to the assisting authority and the adjudicating authority in another Member State of the European Union correspondence relating to compensation in an official language of that State or in another language indicated by that State, provided that the reports of the hearings conducted by the assisting authority on compensation are received and transmitted in the official language of the State in which they were drawn up.

The costs of actions carried out by the assisting authorities in the Republic of Poland, including costs of translations of documents transmitted to adjudicating bodies in other Member States of the European Union, shall be borne by the State Treasury. Under Article 11 of Council Directive 2004/80/EC, the crime victim does not have to pay those costs.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid when the claim is sent abroad?

Answer given above. The crime victim does not bear any costs.

Last update: 22/05/2024

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.