If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

Ministry of Justice (Ministarstvo pravosuđa)
Ulica grada Vukovara 49

Nikica Hamer Vidmar

Telephone: +385 1 371 47 56
Fax : +385 1 371 47 98


Website: https://pravosudje.gov.hr/o-ministarstvu/djelokrug-6366/iz-pravosudnog-sustava-6372/podrska-zrtvama-i-svjedocima/6156

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?

Yes, by submitting the claim to the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Croatia directly or by registered mail.

In which language(s) do the compensation authorities(s) accept the:

The claim and the supporting documents must be in Croatian. If the claim and supporting documents are in a foreign language, then they must be submitted together with a certified translation issued by a licensed court translator.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The deciding authority does not translate the claim or the supporting documents and does not cover the translation costs.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?

No administrative or other charges are to be paid in the proceedings regarding this claim.

If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

If the Committee for the Compensation of Crime Victims (Odbor za novčanu naknadu žrtvama) decides to summon the applicant to a hearing or to participate in the proceedings in person, the applicant’s travelling costs shall be reimbursed.

As a rule, throughout the proceedings and while reaching a decision the applicant’s presence is not required, and if the applicant, witnesses, court-appointed experts or other persons must be heard, the Committee for the Compensation of Crime Victims as the deciding authority can request the competent authority of the other EU member state, in which the compensation claim was submitted, to carry out these actions.

Furthermore, the hearing required by such a procedure can be carried out by using technical aids, including computer technology, electronic communications networks and other image and sound transmission aids. In that case the hearing shall be conducted by the Committee for the Compensation of Crime Victims, i.e. the deciding authority.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?


Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

Foreign medical documents are accepted, however, the Committee for the Compensation of Crime Victims as the deciding authority checks and evaluates the medical documents and, if necessary, may order that a medical expert’s report be obtained.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?


How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

The competent authority will reach a decision on a claim approximately within 60 days if the claim is complete and in order (if all the required documents were obtained and submitted, all information and evidence necessary to reach a decision). However, if the claim is incomplete, the time necessary to reach a decision may be longer.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

The decision on the claim will be in the Croatian language.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

No appeal can be filed against the decision, however, the party may lodge an administrative appeal by submitting an administrative complaint to the competent administrative court within 30 days of the decision being served.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?


Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?


Last update: 01/02/2022

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.