Cross-border placement of a child including foster family

Content provided by:
European Judicial Network
European Judicial Network (in civil and commercial matters)

1 Which authority is to be consulted and to give prior consent before the cross-border placement of a child within your territory?

The competent authority which must give its prior approval before the cross-border placement of a child is the Social Welfare Services of the Deputy Ministry of Social Welfare, whose contact details are as follows:

Address: Leoforos Prodromou 63, 2063 Strovolos, Nikosia

Tel.: +357 22406602 / +357 22406655



Languages: Greek and English

2 Please describe shortly the procedure for consultation and the obtaining of consent (including required documents, deadlines, modalities of the procedure, and other relevant details) for cross-border placement of children within your territory.

All requests must be addressed to the Central Authority of the Republic of Cyprus, which is the Ministry of Justice and Public Order.

Together with the request for consent for the placement of a child, the requesting authority must send the following information, with an official translation into Greek:

1) Report on the child, containing:

- the identification details of the child, his or her parents and relatives and where they are located;

- the reasons for requesting the intervention of the Social Welfare Services and a summary of the measures taken by the requesting authority;

- information on the child's physical, psychological and social development;

- information on the child's specific needs, including a medical report if the child is suffering from a medical condition and any special educational needs;

- the child's opinion (if applicable) and the parents';

- information on contact between the child and his or her parents and relatives;

2) the reasons for the proposed placement or provision of care;

3) the expected duration of the placement;

4) arrangements for contact with parents, other relatives or other persons with whom the child has a close connection or the reasons why such contact is not recommended;

5) any planned supervision of the measure;

6) a written declaration by the natural or legal person with custody of the child or other competent body bearing all the costs of the child's placement and accommodation;

7) decisions of courts or other authorities concerning the child, if any;

8) any other relevant information.

3 Has your Member State decided that consent is not required for cross-border placements of children within your territory where the child is to be placed with certain categories of close relatives? If yes, what are the categories of close relatives?

There is no exception to the requirement for consent to cross-border placements where the child is to be placed with close relatives. Consent is required in all cases.

4 Does your Member State have in place any agreements or arrangements for simplifying the consultation procedure for obtaining consent for the cross-border placement of children?

There are no such agreements or arrangements.

Last update: 19/02/2024

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective EJN contact point. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. Neither the EJN nor the European Commission accept responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.