If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

Ministry of Justice of the Czech Republic, Department of Compensation

Vyšehradská 16
CZ-128 00
Prague 2

Tel: (420) 221997966
Fax : (420) 221997967

Email: odsk@msp.justice.cz

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?


In which language(s) do the compensation authorities(s) accept the claim/supporting documents?

In Czech, Slovak or English.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The deciding authority will not accept documents in languages other than Czech, Slovak, or English (it will disregard them, and will invite the filing person to submit the claim or documents translated into one of the languages accepted); if it needs to provide for the translation of English documents, it will do so at its own cost.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?


If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

The reimbursement for travelling costs is not granted.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

The deciding authority does not provide for an interpreter.

Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

A medical certificate from your place of residence will most likely be recognised.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?


How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

The claim should be decided within 3 months.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

In Czech or English.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

By bringing administrative action in court.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?

Yes, at its own cost.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

The largest non-governmental organisation to support victims of crime is Bílý kruh obětí (White Circle of Victims).

Last update: 15/06/2020

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.