Please note that the original language version of this page Greek has been amended recently. The language version you are now viewing is currently being prepared by our translators.
Swipe to change

Legal translators/interpreters


Greece has no website offering a list of legal translators or interpreters. We are in the process of designing the digitisation of our databases and their electronic interface.

Content provided by:
There is no official translation of the language version you are viewing.
You can access a machine translated version of this content here. Please note that it is only provided for contextual purposes. The owner of this page accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the quality of this machine translated text.

How to find a legal translator or interpreter in Greece

Interpretation and translation before the Greek courts are governed by Articles 233 – 238 of the Greek Code of Criminal Procedure. Interpreters and translators are appointed by the competent court from the relevant table which is drawn up each year by the First-Instance Judicial Court and finalised by the Court of Appeals. In cases of extreme urgency, interpreters who are not included in the above tables shall be appointed.

For civil proceedings, Article 252 of the Code of Civil Procedure provides that if a witness, expert or party does not speak Greek, an interpreter shall be appointed by the court. A similar provision is contained in Article 137 of the Code of Administrative Procedure.

It should also be noted that there is a translation service at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which, according to the current legal framework, is responsible for the official translation of public and private documents.

Foreign public documents are translated only if they bear an apostille, for documents from countries that are party to the 1961 Hague Convention, ratified in Greece by Law 1497/1984 (Government Gazette, Series I, No 188).  All other foreign documents must be certified by the Greek consular authority in the country of origin of the document or by the country’s consular authority in Greece.

Translation is not free of charge. The cost is established by the Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs.

In addition, according to the Lawyers Code (Article 36 Law No 4194/2013 Government Gazette, Series I, No 208) the work of a lawyer includes the translation of documents drafted in a foreign language and the translation of Greek documents into any foreign language. The translation has full effect before any court or other authority, provided it is accompanied by a certified copy of the document translated and the lawyer certifies that they have adequate knowledge of the language it was translated from and into.

Is access to the translators' databases free of charge?

Greece does not have a centralised database of Greek legal translators/interpreters.

However, there is a database of members of the Panhellenic Association of Translators (members of the International Federation of Translators - FIT) who are professional translators (some of whom are also interpreters). This database allows users to search for an interpreter/translator by language and region.

Furthermore, data on professional translators, for each region of Greece can be found in the database of the Panhellenic Association of Professional Translators Graduates of the Ionian University (members of FIT), the members of which specialise in two of three languages: English, French and German (information on the language specialisations of Association members may be obtained from the Association).

How to search for a legal translator in Greece

See above

Related Links

Last update: 03/07/2019

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.