Cross-border placement of a child including foster family

Content provided by:
European Judicial Network
European Judicial Network (in civil and commercial matters)

1 Which authority is to be consulted and to give prior consent before the cross-border placement of a child within your territory?

The placement in the Netherlands of a child from another Member State requires the Central Authority's approval. For this purpose, the Central Authority consults a foster care provider to examine the suitability of the foster parents with whom the child is to be placed.

2 Please describe shortly the procedure for consultation and the obtaining of consent (including required documents, deadlines, modalities of the procedure, and other relevant details) for cross-border placement of children within your territory.

If the court or other authority in another Member State is considering placing a child in the Netherlands, a reasoned request must be sent to the Central Authority. This request must include a report on the child. The Central Authority subsequently consults a foster care provider to examine the suitability of the foster parents with whom the child is to be placed. At the Central Authority's request, the Council for the Protection of Children (Raad voor de Kinderbescherming) examines whether a declaration of no objection may be issued. The entire procedure up to approval takes a maximum of 3 months.

3 Has your Member State decided that consent is not required for cross-border placements of children within your territory where the child is to be placed with certain categories of close relatives? If yes, what are the categories of close relatives?

No, there are no exceptions to the requirement of prior authorisation. All placements with persons other than one of the child’s parents must follow the approval procedure.

4 Does your Member State have in place any agreements or arrangements for simplifying the consultation procedure for obtaining consent for the cross-border placement of children?


Last update: 08/07/2024

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective EJN contact point. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. Neither the EJN nor the European Commission accept responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.