If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

The Violent Offences Compensation Fund (Schadefonds Geweldmisdrijven)

Kneuterdijk 1
2514 EM The Hague

Telephone: 070-4142000
E-mail: info@schadefonds.nl

Postal address:
Postbus 71
2501 CB The Hague

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?


In which language(s) do the compensation authorities accept the:


Any language you choose, but preferably Dutch or English.

supporting documents?

Any language you choose, but preferably Dutch or English.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The Violent Offences Compensation Fund.

Are there any administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?

No, there no administrative or other charges for processing the claim.

If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who should I contact?

You do not need to be present during the procedure. The decision will always be given in writing and will be sent to you by post.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

Not applicable.

Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

Medical information from your doctor will usually be accepted by the Violent Offences Compensation Fund and, where necessary, submitted to its own medical advisors for assessment and advice. These medical advisors will not carry out any medical examinations themselves.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?

Not applicable.

How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

No more than 26 weeks, but usually less.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

The language in which you submitted the claim.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

By lodging an objection with the appeals department of the Violent Offences Compensation Fund. The decision on your claim will contain information on the procedure for challenging it.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?


Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

Victim Support Netherlands (Slachtofferhulp Nederland) may be able to help you. Victim Support Netherlands can be contacted on 0900-0101.

Last update: 26/10/2023

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.