If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

The Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic — Rehabilitation and Compensation Department

Telephone: +421288891225
Fax: +4212888 91 579

E-mail: victims@justice.sk
Website: https://www.justice.gov.sk

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?

It is not possible to communicate directly with the Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic. The assisting authority in the home country should be used for cross-border claims.

In which language(s) do the compensation authorities(s) accept the:

  • claim?
    In Slovak.
  • supporting documents?
    In Slovak.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic does not provide translation of the necessary documents. The crime victim pays for the translation and the associated costs.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?

The procedure is not subject to a charge.

If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

The presence of the violent crime victim is not required when assessing an application for compensation. Any hearing is carried out by the requested assisting authority or by the Slovak authorities through technical facilities for audiovisual transmission. As a result, travel costs are not incurred and there is no need for reimbursement.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

The law does not provide for the claimant’s personal participation in the compensation procedure. The presence of the violent crime victim is not required when assessing an application for compensation.

Will medical certificates from doctors in my country of residence be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

A medical report meeting the requirements laid down by the Slovak legal code is required for the purposes of determining compensation for pain and suffering. However, it is still possible that health status will be assessed by a doctor in the Slovak Republic based on medical reports issued in the country of residence.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?

Travelling costs will not be reimbursed.

Approximately how long does it take to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

The Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic will decide within 6 months of receiving a complete claim.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

In Slovak.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

By court action.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?

There is no legal aid specifically for the purpose of claiming compensation provided for in the Slovak legal code. It is possible to use general legal assistance provided by the State from the Legal Aid Centre, or request aid from one of the organisations providing aid to the crime victims. The Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic itself provides basic guidance for claiming compensation.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

There are non-governmental organisations providing aid and support to violent crime victims within the Slovak Republic, which are focused on certain victims. The options for individual organisations to provide aid for compensation claims in cross-border cases depend mainly on their personnel capacities.

Last update: 27/02/2023

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.