Moving/settling abroad with children

Content provided by:
European Judicial Network
European Judicial Network (in civil and commercial matters)

1 Under what circumstances may a parent lawfully remove the child to another state without the other parent’s consent?

Where this only concerns a short-term stay for the purpose of e.g. short-term study, visiting relatives, a camp or holiday, etc. What is important is that neither the child nor the parent intends for the child to settle permanently in the other state.

2 Under what circumstances is the other parent’s consent necessary for the child’s removal to another state?

Where this concerns a permanent move abroad.

3 If the other parent does not consent to the child’s removal to another state, though it is necessary, how can the child be removed lawfully to another state?

It is essential to refer to a guardianship court (poručenský súd), which will decide on this important question of parental responsibility. Specifically the court can consent to the child’s moving abroad permanently.

4 Do the same rules apply to temporary removal (e.g. holiday, healthcare etc.) and permanent removal? If applicable, please provide relevant consent forms.

See above. There are no such forms.

Last update: 22/04/2022

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective EJN contact point. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. Neither the EJN nor the European Commission accept responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.