Cross-border placement of a child including foster family

Content provided by:
European Judicial Network
European Judicial Network (in civil and commercial matters)

1 Which authority is to be consulted and to give prior consent before the cross-border placement of a child within your territory?

Consent must be given by the youth welfare office (Landesjugendamt) responsible for the Land in which placement is planned. Germany has 16 federal states and 17 youth welfare offices (one for each Land, with two in the Land of North Rhine-Westphalia. A list of addresses can be found at If no specific proposal has been made with regard to where a placement is to be made, the determining factor will be the youth welfare office area deemed by the German central authority to have the closest connection. Alternatively, the Land of Berlin has competence (Section 45 of the Act to implement certain legal instruments in the field of international family law (Gesetz zur Aus- und Durchführung bestimmter Rechtsinstrumente auf dem Gebiet des internationalen Familienrechts) – International Family Law Act – IntFamRVG).



Telephone number, fax number, email address, website


Kommunalverband für Jugend und Soziales Baden-Württemberg

Dezernat Jugend - Landesjugendamt

Lindenspürstraße 39

70176 Stuttgart

Head: Gerald Häcker
Tel. +49 7116375401
Fax +49 7116375449


Zentrum Bayern Familie und Soziales

Bayerisches Landesjugendamt

Marsstraße 46

80335 Munich

Head: Hans Reinfelder

Tel. +49 89126104

Fax +49 8912612412



Senatsverwaltung für Bildung, Jugend und Wissenschaft

Jugend und Familie, Landesjugendamt
Bernhard-Weiß-Staße 6

10178 Berlin

Head: To be announced
Regular representative within federal association (BAG):
Dr Sabine Skutta

Tel. +49 30902275580

Fax +49 30902275011



Ministerium für Bildung, Jugend und Sport des Landes Brandenburg

Abteilung Kinder, Jugend und Sport

Heinrich-Mann-Alle 107,

14473 Potsdam

Head: Volker-Gerd Westphal
Tel. +49 3318663700
Fax +49 33127548490


Die Senatorin für Soziales, Jugend,

Frauen, Integration und Sport


Bahnhofsplatz 29

28195 Bremen

Head: Christiane Schrader

Tel. +49 4213610

Fax +49 4214964401



Behörde für Arbeit, Soziales, Familie und Integration

Amt für Familie

Überregionale Förderung und Beratung/ Landesjugendamt FS 4

Adolph-Schönfelder-Straße 5

22083 Hamburg

Head: Gabriele Scholz

Fax +49 40427961745

Representative: Henriette Brandt

Tel. +49 40428635019

Fax +49 40427963377



Hessisches Ministerium für Soziales und Integration
Abteilung II6B - Jugendgremienarbeit

Sonnenberger Straße 2/2a

65193 Wiesbaden

Head: Cornelia Lange

Tel. +49 61132193248 or 3249

Fax +49 6118173260


Regular representative within federal association (BAG):

Susanne Rothenhöfer

Tel. +49 61132193433

Fax +49 611327193433


Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

Kommunaler Sozialverband



Der Verbandsdirektor

Am Grünen Tal 19

19063 Schwerin

Head: Nils Voderberg

Contact person: To be announced
Tel. +49 38539689940
Fax +49 38539689919

Lower Saxony

Niedersächsisches Landesamt für Soziales, Jugend und Familie
Außenstelle Hannover
Fachgruppe Kinder, Jugend und Familie

Schiffgraben 30-32

30175 Hannover

Head: Silke Niepel
Tel. +49 51189701303

Fax +49 51189701330


North Rhine-Westphalia


Landschaftsverband Rheinland

Dezernat Kinder, Jugend und Familie


Kennedy-Ufer 2
50679 Köln

Head: To be announced
Tel. +49 2218094002
Fax +49 2218094009

North Rhine-Westphalia


Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe
LWL-Dezernat Jugend und Schule

Warendorfer Straße 25

48145 Münster

Head: Birgit Westers
Tel. +49 25159101

Fax +49 251591275



Landesamt für Soziales, Jugend und

Versorgung Rheinland-Pfalz


Rheinallee 97-101

55118 Mainz

Head: Iris Egger-Otholt
Tel. +49 6131967289
Fax +49 6131967365


Ministerium für Soziales, Gesundheit, Frauen und Familie

C 5 - Kinder- und Jugendhilfe, Landesjugendamt

Franz-Josef-Röder-Straße 23

66119 Saarbrücken

Head: Hubert Meusel

Tel. +49 6815012057

Fax +49 6815013416


Regular representative within federal association (BAG):
Annette Reichmann
Tel. +49 6815013532


Sächsisches Staatsministerium für Soziales und Verbraucherschutz


Carolastraße 7a

09111 Chemnitz

Head: Enrico Birkner
Tel. +49 37124081101



Referat Jugend

Ernst-Kamieth-Strasse 2

06122 Halle (Saale)

Head: Antje Specht

Representative within federal association (BAG): Corinna Rudloff
Tel. +49 3455141625/1855

Fax +49 3455141012/1719



Ministerium für Soziales, Jugend, Familie, Senioren, Integration und Gleichstellung
des Landes Schleswig-Holstein


Adolf-Westphal-Straße 4

24143 Kiel

Head: Thorsten Wilke
Tel. +49 4319882617
Fax +49 4319882618


Thüringer Ministerium für Bildung, Jugend und Sport

Abt. 4 - Kinder, Jugend, Sport und Landesjugendamt

Werner-Seelenbinder-Str. 7

99096 Erfurt

Head: Martina Reinhardt

Tel. +49 361573411300

Fax +49 361573411830


2 Please describe shortly the procedure for consultation and the obtaining of consent (including required documents, deadlines, modalities of the procedure, and other relevant details) for cross-border placement of children within your territory.

The application for consent relating to placement of a minor from another EU Member State (with the exception of Denmark) is sent via the central authority of the other EU Member State to the Federal Office of Justice (Bundesamt für Justiz) in Germany, which then forwards the application to the competent German youth welfare office.

The German youth welfare office that has local competence should generally grant the request in accordance with Section 46(1) IntFamRVG if

1. carrying out the intended placement in Germany is in the best interests of the child, in particular because they have a particular connection to Germany;

2. the authority in the child’s country of origin has submitted a report and, if necessary, medical certificates or assessments setting out the reasons for the intended placement;

3. the child has been heard as part of the proceedings in the child’s country of origin, unless a hearing seemed inappropriate in view of the age or maturity of the child. A hearing that is appropriate to the child’s age and stage of development and deals with the subject of placement in Germany is generally deemed to be necessary from the age of 3 years;

4. the appropriate institution or foster family has given its consent and there are no reasons not to proceed with the placement;

5. an approval required under the law on aliens has been granted or promised; and

6. arrangements have been made regarding the assumption of costs (including sufficient health insurance).

The youth welfare office must have the intended granting of consent approved by the family court (Familiengericht) at the seat of the higher regional court (Oberlandesgericht) within whose jurisdiction the child is to be placed before notifying the requesting foreign authority of the consent (Section 47(1), first sentence, IntFamRVG).

After the approval has been granted or refused, the competent German youth welfare office informs the requesting foreign authority, the German central authority and the institution or foster family where the child is to be placed of the reasoned, final decision (Section 46(5) IntFamRVG).

The following information and evidence are required:

- name, address and telephone number of the competent foreign authority placing the child

- name, date of birth and nationality of the child (copy of identity card or birth certificate)

- (intended) duration of placement

- reasons/basis in expert opinion for placement in general and placement in Germany in particular (including any previous decisions by a court)

- information on the child’s state of health (if available: medical certificates/assessments)

- name, address and telephone number of the receiving foster institution/foster family in Germany

- agreement of the foster institution/foster family to placement of the child

- if available: determination of suitability for fostering/foster licence of the receiving foster family or operating licence of the receiving institution in accordance with German law

- contact details of the person(s) with custody

- evidence that the child has been heard as part of the proceedings in the child’s country of origin, unless a hearing seems inappropriate in view of the age or maturity of the child

- evidence of clarification of who will assume the costs

- evidence of the child’s health/liability insurance

All information and evidence must be translated into German.

The right to request further information and/or documents in an individual case is reserved.

3 Has your Member State decided that consent is not required for cross-border placements of children within your territory where the child is to be placed with certain categories of close relatives? If yes, what are the categories of close relatives?


4 Does your Member State have in place any agreements or arrangements for simplifying the consultation procedure for obtaining consent for the cross-border placement of children?

We know of no such arrangements.

We are aware of an agreement between the youth welfare office of the Rhineland regional authority (Landschaftsverband) and the Government of the German-speaking community in Belgium.

Last update: 31/07/2023

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective EJN contact point. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. Neither the EJN nor the European Commission accept responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.