Brussels IIa Regulation - Matrimonial matters and matters of parental responsibility


Content provided by:


The search tool below will help you to identify court(s)/authority(ies) competent for a specific European legal instrument. Please note that although every effort has been made to ascertain the accuracy of the results, there may be some exceptional cases concerning the determination of competence that are not necessarily covered.


Family Law - Brussels IIa Regulation - Matrimonial matters and matters of parental responsibility

*mandatory input

Article 67 (a)

Please note that the original language version of this page Portuguese has been amended recently. The language version you are now viewing is currently being prepared by our translators.
Please note that the following languages: French have already been translated.

The Central Authority designated in accordance with Article 53 is the following government department:

DGRSP - Directorate-General for Rehabilitation and Prison Services (Direcção-Geral de Reinserção e Serviços Prisionais)

Legal Assistance and Dispute Department (Gabinete Jurídico e Contencioso)

Travessa da Cruz do Torel, n.º 1

1150-122 Lisbon

Tel.: (+351) 218 812 200

Fax: (+351) 218 853 653



Article 67 (b)

Pursuant to Article 57(2), the languages that may be used to communicate with the Central Authority are Portuguese, English and French.

Article 67 (c)

The languages accepted for the certificate concerning rights of access and the return of a child pursuant to Article 45(2) are Portuguese and English.

Articles 21 and 29

For the cases referred to in Articles 21 and 29, the court with jurisdiction is:

- the Family and Minors Division (Juízo de Família e Menores); or, if there isn’t one:

- the Local Civil Division (Juízo Local Cível), if one exists, or the Local General Division (Juízo Local de Competência Genérica).

Article 33

The appeals provided for under Article 33 must be lodged with the Court of Appeal (Tribunal da Relação).

Article 34

For the purposes of Article 34 of the Regulation, it is only possible to bring an appeal on a point of law and this must be lodged with the Supreme Court of Justice (Supremo Tribunal de Justiça).


This web page is part of Your Europe.

We welcome your feedback on the usefulness of the provided information.


Last update: 07/04/2024

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.