Federal Social Welfare Office
The Federal Social Welfare Office is the institution responsible for the provision of compensation to victims of crime.
The Federal Social Welfare Office
- is part of the Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection
- is the institution responsible for the provision of compensation to victims of crime
- provides compensation for damages and covers the costs of medical care and other services provided to victims
- has nine regional offices throughout Austria
For the contact details of the regional offices of the Federal Social Welfare Office click here.
The White Ring and its contact points in each province offer assistance to victims of crime in times of need, regardless of their age, sex, nationality or the type of crime.
The White Ring
- offers assistance to victims of crime in times of need, regardless of their age, sex, nationality or the type of crime
- provides legal and psychosocial counselling and psycho-social and legal victim assistance services
- offers emergency aid under certain circumstances
- provides assistance to victims concerning public authorities and institutions
- operates the victim support hotline
- offers crisis intervention, information on victims rights, information on suitable victim support organisations, emotional support for victims, who are directly or indirectly affected by a criminal offence
- has a contact point in each province
Domestic Abuse Intervention Centres/Violence Protection Centres
The Domestic Abuse Intervention Centre and the Violence Protection Centres are victim support organisations for women and children who suffered violence by their husbands, partners or relatives.
The Domestic Abuse Intervention Centre and the Violence Protection Centres
- are victim support organisations for women and children who suffered violence by their husbands, partners or relatives and victims of stalking
- are financed by the State
- provide publicity work, training courses, networking and cooperation with other victim support organisations
- offer crisis intervention, support, assessment of danger, building up a safety plan, support for applying an interim injunction, legal aid and accompaniment to the court, interventions in connection with the offender, psychological, psychosocial counselling and legal counselling (special lawyers are in charge with the counselling) before, during and after the criminal procedure
- Intervention Centre Burgenland
- IfS- Violence Protection Centre Vorarlberg
- Violence Protection Centre Tirol
- Violence Protection Centre Salzburg
- Violence Protection Centre Oberösterreich and for the contact details of the local bureaus of the Intervention Centre Oberösterreich click here.
- Violence Protection Centre Niederösterreich and for the contact details of the local bureaus of the Violence Protection Centre Niederösterreich click here.
- Violence Protection Centre Steiermark
- Violence Protection Centre Kärnten
- Intervention Centre Vienna
Women Shelters and Centres
The Women Shelters offer shelter, counselling (psychosocial, psychological, psychotherapeutic, legal) and assistance in house/flat hunting, job seeking and with applications before public authorities and accompaniment to court, police, offices, etc.
The Women Shelters
- are associations funded by the provinces or by private sources
- provide protection of rights and counselling of women affected by domestic violence
- offer shelter, counselling (psychosocial, psychological, psychotherapeutic, legal) and assistance in house/flat hunting, job seeking and with applications before public authorities and accompaniment to court, police, offices
- offer psychosocial and legal victim assistance services
- are independent or networked under the Austrian Women Shelter Network
- Austrian Women Shelter Network and for the contact details of each of the 30 women shelters members of the network click here.
- Autonomous Women Centre Linz
- Women Counselling Centre Mostviertel
- Family Counselling and Education Centre Women for Women – Hollabrunn
- Women and Family Counselling Centre Oberwart
- Women and Family Counselling Centre Güssing
- Women and Girls Counselling Centre Evita
- Counselling Centre for Sexually Abused Girls and Young Women
- Association Emergency – Councelling Centre for Girls and Young Women Victims of Rape
- Counselling Centre Tara
- Counselling Centre for Women and Girls Victims of Violence and Sexual Abuse Tamar
- Intervention Centre for Women Victims of Trafficking Lefö and for the contact details of Lefö’s centres for support of migrant women click here.
- Counselling Centre for Women and Girls Victims of Sexual Violence Frauennotruf Salzburg
- Prevention, Counselling and Therapy Centre for Women Victims of Sexual Abuse Pia
Other counselling centres
- Counselling Centre for Children, Youngsters and Families Pro Mente Klagenfurt
- Children Counselling Centre
- Men Counselling Centre Mannsbilder
- Lichtblick – Wiener Neustadt
- Information Centre for Men
Institute for Social Services
The Institute for Social Services offers counselling of adults (especially in times of separation, psychosocial stress. etc.), counselling of victims of violence, anonymous accommodation for women in need and crisis shelters.
The Institute for Social Services
- is a facility established by the welfare service, in which qualified social workers, psychologists, marriage counsellors, consultants for the handicapped, tutors, doctors, psychotherapists, lawyers and interpreters work together
- is politically independent, non-denominational and active in all regions of the state of Vorarlberg in Austria
- offers counselling of adults (especially in times of separation, psychosocial stress. etc.), professional and social rehabilitation, family counselling and family planning, guidance with upbringing and education, advice for foreigners, youth counselling and street-work with fringe groups, counselling involving sects, counselling victims of violence, psychosocial and legal victim assistance services, anonymous accommodation for women in need and crisis shelters, educational flat-sharing communities for adolescents, and youth programs, counselling for people who have got into debt, support and care for psychologically ill and mentally dysfunctional people (legal representation)
- Institute for Social Services
- For the contact details of the child protection centres of the Institute for Social Services click here.
- For the contact details of the adult counselling centres of the Institute for Social Services click here.
- For the contact details of the youth counselling centres of the Institute for Social Services click here.
Child Protection Centres
The Child Protection Centres offer counselling and psychotherapy for children, teenagers, their families as well as for persons who work with people who suffer from (physical, psychological, sexual) violence and disregard.
The Child Protection Centres
- offer counselling and psychotherapy for children, teenagers, their families as well as for persons who work with people who suffer from (physical, psychological, sexual) violence and disregard
- offer service to the wrongdoer
- provide crisis intervention
- offer psychosocial, psychological and legal counselling in connection with criminal trials and victim assistance services
- Child Protection Centre Wigwam
- Child Protection Centre Tandem
- Child Protection Centre Känguru
- Child Protection Centre Innviertel – Braunau
- Child Protection Centre Salzburg
- Child Protection and Family Counselling Centre Impuls
- Child Protection and Family Counselling Centre Osttirol
- Child Protection Centre Innsbruck
- Child Protection Centre Imst
- Child Protection Centre Wörgl
- Child and Youth Legal Services Vorarlberg
- Child Protection Centre Graz
- Child Protection Centre Weiz
- Child Protection Centre Deutschlandsberg
- Child Protection Centre Oberes Murtal and for the contact details of the branch offices of the Child Protection Centre Oberes Murtal click here.
- Child Protection Centre Bruck/Kapfenberg
- Child Protection Centre Leibnitz
- Child Protection Centre Liezen
- Child Protection Centre Kärnten
- Child Protection Centres for Physically, Psychologically or Sexually Abused Children Seagull (die Möwe) and for the contact details of the Seagull regional centres click here.
- Independent Child Protection Centre Vienna: firstname.lastname@example.org, website (n/a)
- Child Protection Centre Burgenland
- Child Protection Centre Amstetten
- Child Protection Centre Gmünd
- Child Protection Centre Zwettl
- Child Protection Centre Linz
- Child Protection Centre Delfi – Villach
The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.