Visit the BETA version of the European e-Justice Portal and give us feedback of your experience!


Navigation path

menu starting dummy link

Page navigation

menu ending dummy link

If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country - Lithuania

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

The Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania (Lietuvos Respublikos teisingumo ministerija)
Gedimino pr. 30

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?

Yes, a person may send his or her claim directly to the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania.

In which language(s) do the compensation authorities(s) accept the:

- claim?

- supporting documents?

The claim and additional documents must be submitted in Lithuanian or English.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The costs of translating the claim and/or documents attached to it into Lithuanian or English must be covered by the applicant or the sending authority.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?


If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

A victim of crime does not need to be present when his or her claim is being decided upon. Such costs are therefore not eligible for reimbursement.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

A victim of crime does not need to be present when his or her claim is being decided upon.

Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised - or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

Documents issued by the competent institutions/individuals in the victim’s country of residence will be recognised.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?


How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

A decision will be taken within a month following the submission of the claim and all the necessary documents to the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

Usually in Lithuanian.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

Decisions taken by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania may be challenged before the Lithuanian Administrative Disputes Commission (Lietuvos administracinių ginčų komisija) or Vilnius Regional Administrative Court (Vilniaus apygardos administracinis teismas) within one month from the date on which the decision was communicated.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?

Yes. A person may apply for legal aid from the State Guaranteed Legal Aid Service (Valstybės garantuojamos teisinės pagalbos tarnyba) which will decide on the provision of legal aid.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?


The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.
Member States in charge of the management of national content pages are in the process of updating some of the content on this website in the light of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. If the site contains content that does not yet reflect the withdrawal of the United Kingdom, it is unintentional and will be addressed.

Last update: 22/10/2019