Judicial systems in Member States - Greece
There is no official translation of the language version you are viewing.
You can access a machine translated version of this content here. Please note that it is only provided for contextual purposes. The owner of this page accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the quality of this machine translated text.
This section provides you with an overview of the court system in Greece.
Organisation of justice – judicial systems
Justice in Greece is one of the three functions of the state. In line with the principle of the separation of powers, justice is independent of the legislative and executive powers.
Types of courts – short description
Courts in Greece are divided into the following main categories:
- Administrative courts (Διοικητικά δικαστήρια)
- Civil courts (Πολιτικά δικαστήρια)
- Criminal courts (Ποινικά δικαστήρια)
- Court martial (στρατοδικείο), naval court (ναυτοδικείο) and air force court (αεροδικείο)
- Supreme Special Court (Ανώτατο Ειδικό Δικαστήριο)
- Special court for corruption lawsuits
- Special court for liability of Ministers
- Special court for disputes on remuneration of judicial officials
Each court is administered by judicial officials: a president or a three-member council.
- District civil courts (ειρηνοδικεία), courts of first instance (πρωτοδικεία), courts of appeal (εφετεία), Supreme Court (Άρειος Πάγος)
- District criminal courts (πταισματοδικεία), magistrates' courts (πλημμελειοδικεία), courts of appeal, Supreme Court
- Administrative courts of first instance, administrative courts of appeal, Council of State (Συμβούλιο της Επικρατείας)
The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.
Last update: 03/07/2019