Ordinary courts – introduction
General courts deal with criminal and civil cases. They are organised in a three-tier system:
- District courts (tingsrätt)
- Courts of appeal (hovrätt) and
- The Supreme Court (Högsta domstolen).
The general administrative courts deal with cases relating to public administration They are organised in a three-tier system:
- County administrative courts (länsrätt)
- Administrative courts of appeal (kammarrätt) and
- Supreme Administrative Court (Högsta förvaltningsdomstolen).
In addition, a number of special courts and tribunals have been established to hear specific kinds of cases and matters, such as the Labour Court (Arbetsdomstolen) and the Market Court (Marknadsdomstolen).
The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.