1 — Consultation of a lawyer

This page has been machine translated and its quality cannot be guaranteed.

The quality of this translation has been assessed as: good

Do you consider this translation useful?

It is very important to obtain independent advice from a lawyer when you are involved in any way in criminal proceedings. The factsheets tell you when and in what circumstances you are entitled to be represented by a lawyer. They also tell you how the lawyer will assist you. This general information sheet will tell you how to find a lawyer and how the lawyer’s fees will be covered if you are unable to pay for it.

Finding a lawyer

You have an absolute right to be assisted by a lawyer in all cases. You can contact the lawyer of your choice or contact the Link opens in new windowLuxembourg Bar Association to obtain a list of lawyers to choose one as you wish.

In the absence of choice or when the Chairman of the Bar Association deems your choice to be inappropriate, it will be up to the Chairman of the Bar Association to designate it. The lawyer shall be obliged, unless there is a conflict of interest or a conflict of interest, to take over the mandate given to him or her.

If you are detained, you can ask the investigating judge at the beginning of the proceedings to have a lawyer committed of your own motion or the lawyer of your choice.

You can request legal aid for the legal care and information service in the courts.

A legal care and information service exists in Luxembourg, Diekirch and Esch-sur-Alzette:

  • Luxembourg: Court of Justice, CR Building, L-2080, Luxembourg, Tel: 22 18 46
  • For Diekirch: EIB der ALER Kiirch, B.P.66 L-9201 Diekirch, Tel: 80 23 15
  • Esch-sur-Alzette: seat of the Resistance, L-4002 Esch/Alzette, Tel: 54 15 52

Paying for the lawyer

Lawyers’ fees are free.

If you do not have sufficient income to defend yourself and to pay a lawyer you are entitled to legal aid.

This lack of resources is assessed in relation to the income and wealth of the person who requires the assistance and persons living with him in the legal community.

You are considered to be a person whose resources are insufficient if you have no financial means exceeding the minimum income guaranteed by law.

Related links

Link opens in new windowMinistry of Justice — Legal Aid

Link opens in new windowMinistry of Justice — Legal aid

This is a machine translated version of the content. The owner of this page accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the quality of this machine translated text.

Last update: 10/09/2019