Case-law available in Northern Ireland
Much of the case law from courts in the Northern Ireland jurisdiction of the UK is available to the public.
Case law is published for the Crown Court, High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom.
Decisions from family and some criminal cases may be anonymous.
Case law has been published since 1999 in Northern Ireland. Once a judgment is given, case law is usually published between 24 hours or 2 weeks afterwards.
https://www.judiciary-ni.gov.uk has published the judgments of the Crown Court, High Court and the Court of Appeal on its website since 1999. Access to these judgments is free of charge.
Judgments are available from the Appellate Committee of the House of Lords from 14 November 1996 to 30 July 2009. In October 2009 the Supreme Court replaced the Appellate Committee of the House of Lords and its Judgments are available on the Supreme Court website. Access to these judgments is free of charge.
There are a number of national legal repositories and legal databases available.
The ‘Bailii’ (British and Irish Legal Information Institute) database contains decisions from the Crown Court , High Court Chancery Division, High Court Family Decision, High Court Queen’s Bench, High Court Master’s Decisions, Court of Appeal since November 1998, the House of Lords since 1838, and the judgments of the Supreme Court since October 2009. Access to these judgments is free of charge.
The Bailii website also contains details of decisions from various United Kingdom tribunals:
- Upper Tribunal (Administrative Appeals Chamber)
- Upper Tribunal (Finance and Tax)
- Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber)
- First-tier Tribunal (Health Education and Social Care Chamber)
- First-tier Tribunal (Tax)
- United Kingdom Competition Appeals Tribunal
- Nominet UK Dispute Resolution Service
- Special Immigrations Appeals Commission
- United Kingdom Employment Appeal Tribunal
- United Kingdom Financial Services and Markets Tribunals Decisions
- United Kingdom Asylum and Immigration Tribunal
- United Kingdom Information Tribunal including the National Security Appeals Panel
- United Kingdom Special Commissioners of Income Tax Decisions
- UK Social Security and Child Support Commissioners' Decisions
- United Kingdom VAT & Duties Tribunals Decisions
1. United Kingdom VAT & Duties Tribunals (Customs) Decisions
2. United Kingdom VAT & Duties Tribunals (Excise) Decisions
3. United Kingdom VAT & Duties Tribunals (Insurance Premium Tax) Decisions
4. United Kingdom VAT & Duties Tribunals (Landfill Tax) Decisions
The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.