In the field of civil justice, pending procedures and proceedings initiated before the end of the transition period will continue under EU law. The e-Justice Portal, on the basis of a mutual agreement with the UK, will maintain the relevant information related to the United Kingdom until the end of 2024.

If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country

England and Wales

Content provided by:
England and Wales

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)

Alexander Bain House
Atlantic Quay
15 York Street
G2 8JQ

Telephone: 00 44 203 684 2517


Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?

We will accept an application directly from you without having to go via the assisting authority in your home country.

In which language(s) do the compensation authorities(s) accept the:

  • claim?
  • supporting documents?

Our preference is to receive these documents in English.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

We will pay for these translations.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?

We do not charge for our services.

If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

We process applications and correspond with applicants in writing. You do no need to be present.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

Not applicable.

Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

We will accept reports from medically qualified practitioners in other countries.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?

We do not pay travelling expenses.

How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

The length of time needed to assess a claim will vary depending on how complicated it is. For example, claims involving loss of earnings will take longer than those only involving a payment under the tariff of injuries. The CICA will not finalise a claim until you confirm that you have recovered, as far as possible, from your injuries. We aim to resolve straightforward cases within 12 months of receipt.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

We will correspond with you in English.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

If you disagree with the original decision and want us to review it, you must send us your written application for a review within 56 days of the date of the original decision. You will need to enclose any additional evidence that you wish us to consider in support of your claim.

When we get your request for a review along with all your supporting information, a claims officer, other than the one who made the original decision, will consider it. The review decision can be more or less favourable than the original decision, or the original decision may be unchanged.

If you disagree with a review decision, you can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Criminal Injuries Compensation) in accordance with Tribunal Procedure Rules. You can find these rules on the First-tier Tribunal website.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?

You do not need a paid representative such as a solicitor or claims management company to apply for compensation. If you choose paid representation we cannot meet the cost of this, and you will have to pay these costs yourself.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

You can contact the Victims Information Service for help with your application.

Last update: 07/05/2019

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.