If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

As the deciding authority, the Budapest Government Office (Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala) is authorised to decide on compensation claims received from other Member States:

1117 Budapest, Prielle Kornélia u. 4.

+36 1 896 2104

email: isz.igazgatosag@bfkh.gov.hu

web: https://www.kormanyhivatal.hu/hu/aldozatsegito-szolgalat-a

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?


In which language(s) do the compensation authorities(s) accept the:

– claim?

Any language.

– supporting documents?

Any language.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The Hungarian State.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?

No, there are no such charges to be paid.

If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

The procedure does not require you to be present in person.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?


Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

The Hungarian authority accepts the medical certificates of your country of residence.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?


How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body ?

During the procedure, a decision has to be taken within a maximum of 60 days.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

In Hungarian; it will be translated for clients who do not speak Hungarian.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

Administrative proceedings may be brought before the courts against the decision delivered at first instance.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?

You may receive legal aid on the basis of Hungarian Act LXXX of 2003 on legal aid.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

Services to help assert your interests are available from any organisational unit of the victim support service, i.e. at the county and Budapest government offices and at the Victim Support Service Centres, where victim support advisors will provide practical assistance (for example: assistance in completing applications) and information to the interested parties. Victims may also turn to civil society organisations (for example: White Ring (Fehérgyűrű), Hungarian Baptist Aid (Baptista Szeretetszolgálat), etc.).

Last update: 03/05/2023

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.