Visit the BETA version of the European e-Justice Portal and give us feedback of your experience!


Navigation path

menu starting dummy link

Page navigation

menu ending dummy link

If my claim is to be sent from this country to another EU country - Lithuania

Which authority will help me send a claim to another EU country?

The Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania (Lietuvos Respublikos teisingumo ministerija),
Gedimino pr. 30,

What is the role of the assisting authority?

The Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania is authorised to submit to the competent authorities of other European Union Member States applications by citizens of the Republic of Lithuania and other persons who are lawfully and ordinarily resident in the Republic of Lithuania for compensation for damage incurred due to a violent crime committed in the territory of another European Union Member State. In addition, the Ministry of Justice provides people with information on the conditions and procedures for compensating damage incurred due to violent crimes as laid down by the competent authorities of other European Union Member States.

Will this authority translate the supporting documents, if the outgoing claim needs this? If so, who pays for this?

Yes, if necessary, the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania will assist in translating the documents to be submitted. The victim of the crime is not obliged to bear the translation costs.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid when the claim is sent abroad?

No, there are no charges to be paid.

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.
Member States in charge of the management of national content pages are in the process of updating some of the content on this website in the light of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. If the site contains content that does not yet reflect the withdrawal of the United Kingdom, it is unintentional and will be addressed.

Last update: 22/10/2019