On which website(s) are official announcements published?
They are published on the website of the Portuguese official gazette, the Diário da República Eletrónico.
What types of announcements are published?
The Diário da República is made up of two series. Series 1 contains publications of:
- constitutional laws
- international conventions, the corresponding presidential decrees, deposit notices for binding instruments (in particular, ratification instruments), and other notices relating to such conventions
- organic laws, laws, decree-laws and regional legislative decrees
- decrees of the President of the Republic
- resolutions of the Assembly of the Republic
- decrees of Representatives of the Portuguese Head of State appointing and dismissing Presidents and members of the regional governments of the Azores and Madeira
- the rules of procedure of the Assembly of the Republic, the Council of State and the legislative assemblies of the Autonomous Regions
- rulings and declarations of the Constitutional Council that the law states must be published in Series 1 of the Diário da República
- rulings standardising case-law of the Supreme Court of Justice and the Court of Auditors and rulings of the Supreme Administrative Court on which the law confers general binding force
- results of referendums and elections for the President of the Republic, the Assembly of the Republic, the legislative assemblies of the Autonomous Regions and the European Parliament, in accordance with the relevant legislation
- the resignation message of the President of the Republic
- motions rejecting the Government’s Programme and motions of confidence and censure
- opinions of the Council of State as provided for in Article 145(a)-(e) of the Constitution and any opinions the Council of State itself decides to publish
- other government decrees
- resolutions of the Council of Ministers and ministerial implementing orders containing general provisions
- resolutions of the legislative assemblies of the Autonomous Regions and regional regulatory decrees
- rulings of other courts not mentioned above on which the law confers general binding force
- declarations regarding the resignation or loss of mandate of members of the Assembly of the Republic and members of the legislative assemblies of the Autonomous Regions.
In addition to other acts that must be published in Series 2, the following are published in Series 2:
- legislative orders of members of the Government
- results of elections to local authority bodies
- State-department budgets that the law states must be published in the Diário da República and declarations of transfers of funds.
Acts published in Series 2 of the Diário da República can be of the following types: agreement, announcement, arbitration ruling, balance sheet, collective employment agreement, commendation, contract, correction declaration, court ruling, declaration, deliberation, directive, edict, extension regulation, instruction, judgment, legislative order, list, map, membership agreement, ministerial implementing order, notice, notice of the Bank of Portugal, official map, official statement, opinion, order, permit, protocol, recommendation, regulation, regulation of the Securities Market Commission, regulatory standard of the Securities and Pension Funds Supervisory Authority, report, resolution, ruling and trial balance. Also included are urgent tender notices, procedure notices, deadline extension notices and notice correction declarations.
From which organisation(s) are announcements published?
The bodies legally responsible for or involved in publishing acts in the Diário da República include: the Presidency of the Republic, the Assembly of the Republic, the Government, the legislative assemblies and regional governments of the Autonomous Regions of the Azores and Madeira, direct and indirect public administration, the courts, the public prosecutor, independent administrative bodies, and local authority autonomous administration and bodies.
Is access to the official announcements free?
Yes. Under Decree-Law No 83/2016 of 16 December, the Diário da República is a public service open to everyone and free of charge. It is published only in electronic form. Decree Law No 83/2016
What types of searches can be made?
Universal and free access includes the possibility of printing, filing, searching and freely accessing the content of acts published in Series 1 and 2 of the Diário da República, in open-access electronic formats.
As of which date were the official announcements available in electronic format?
The electronic edition of the Diário da República has been authentic and the pacts published in it valid for all legal purposes since 1 July 2006, pursuant to Article 1(5) of Law No 74/98 of 11 November 1998, as currently in force.
In addition, July 2019 saw the launch of the Diário da República mobile application with extra functions, such as creating a personalised profile for each user and the use of a notification system with access to consolidated legislation.
Can searches be saved and notifications sent when criteria are met?
Yes. Specifically regarding the sending of notifications, users are able to receive the indexes of Series 1 and 2 of the Diário da República by e-mail, by prior registration or by RSS (Really Simple Syndication) subscription.
Are the official announcements freely available as open data? If so, where can the repository and/or technical information be found?
The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.
Member States in charge of the management of national content pages are in the process of updating some of the content on this website in the light of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. If the site contains content that does not yet reflect the withdrawal of the United Kingdom, it is unintentional and will be addressed.
Last update: 17/04/2020