2 – Getting legal advice

Save as PDF

Please note that the original language version of this page German has been amended recently. The language version you are now viewing is currently being prepared by our translators.


There is no official translation of the language version you are viewing.
You can access a machine translated version of this content here. Please note that it is only provided for contextual purposes. The owner of this page accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the quality of this machine translated text.

Getting independent legal advice is very important if you are involved in some way in the criminal process. The factsheets tell you when and in what circumstances you are entitled to be represented by a lawyer. They also tell you what a lawyer will do for you. This general factsheet tells you how to find a lawyer and how the costs of the lawyer will be met if you cannot afford to pay for legal advice.

Finding a lawyer

When you learn that you are subject to a criminal investigation, you may search for specialist criminal lawyers on the Internet for example. Every lawyer (Anwalt) registered in Germany is authorised to act as a defence lawyer. If the matter is urgent, because you are about to be arrested or your premises are about to be searched, you can find a defence lawyer around the clock through a Link opens in new windowcriminal lawyer hotline. If you need someone with specific language skills or in a particular location, you can go to the Link opens in new windowcriminal lawyer search function provided by the Criminal Department of the German Law Association (Deutsches Anwaltverein). You can also look up the regional bar association (Rechtsanwaltskammer). Since 1 January 2010, there have been regional lists of lawyers who are prepared to take on Link opens in new windowcourt-appointed defence work. You can find out where to get these lists and how to use them through your local bar association (including Link opens in new windowhere).

If you have been arrested or are being held in Link opens in new windowpre-trial custody you will not be able to access this information. The police are obliged to provide you with a list of lawyers or a telephone directory if you ask for one. The police also know the Link opens in new windowhotlines. If the police do not allow you to get in touch with a lawyer, you must tell this to the court as soon as you appear there. The courts also have lists of lawyers who are prepared to take on Link opens in new windowcourt-appointed defence work.

Paying for a lawyer

If you are acquitted, the state must pay the lawyer’s costs. If the proceedings are Link opens in new windowdiscontinued at the investigation stage or if you are convicted, you will have to bear the costs yourself.

Even if you are on a low income or have no income at all, there is no basic right to financial support from the state in criminal proceedings. You can apply for Link opens in new windowaid for initial legal advice from your local court (Amtsgericht).

There are special rules on payment in the case of Link opens in new windowcourt-appointed defence lawyers. Here the state pays the lawyer in the first place, but the statutory payment for a court‑appointed lawyer is lower than what the lawyer would otherwise be able to charge. If you are convicted, you will be billed for the costs of the court-appointed lawyer at the end of the proceedings. You will then have to pay the legal costs back to the state, and in addition pay the lawyer the costs he or she would have been entitled to charge if he or she had not been appointed as your lawyer by the court, always supposing that you are in fact able to pay.

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.

Last update: 30/08/2019